Monday, January 31, 2011

Feeling stupid...

This afternoon I came home early from work.  Why I did is not such a mystery - a winter storm has seized a wide swath of the country, leaving it pink and purple on the weather maps, but white if you look outside.  The snow started falling earlier than expected, and I didn't want to get stuck in Cimarron when I knew my husband was in Miami with a fire going.
 
Marie and I exchanged several text messages throughout the day about CCD.  The last two were to conclude that class should be canceled.  Ever committed, I really didn't want to stay late and sub for one of the teachers.  My priorities were really with my own safety, as I wasn't up for taking snow curves in the dark in a 96 Honda Civic.  When the time seemed right, I packed up my computer and some files, turned down the thermostat, and made a run for it.  Of course, I did have to go back down to the hall to turn the heat down, since I had already turned it up for class.  And I never like to leave the car with less than a quarter tank of gas in weather with highs in the 6 - 8 degree range, so I stopped at the gas station, too.  And I remembered that there was no milk in the fridge, so while the gas pumped itself, I ran in for the milk. 
 
I do not have low self-esteem.  I generally don't think I am an idiot.  I will concede, though, that as a creature of habit, I sometimes do stupid things when I break habit.  Yes, today I broke habit and did something terribly stupid.  Sadly, it isn't the first time. 
 
When I pulled up to the Russell's, I pulled up to the gas pump, popped the gas flap and set about my routine.  I knew I was going in for milk, so I locked my work computer in the car.  The trunk was already covered in snow, so I set the gas cap on top of the pump.  I swiped my card, entered my zip, and selected my fuel.  As soon as the gas started pumping, I ran in for the milk.  I tried to think of anything else we could possibly want if we really are stuck in the house until Wednesday, but nothing else seemed important.  Ice cream was on sale, but I knew it would melt with the heat up in the car.  (I considered leaving the heat off for ice cream, but the defrost is really a must!)  I ran back to the car, set the milk on the median, finished up my business with the gas pump, fished out my keys and unlocked the car (did you think I locked myself out?), stuffed the milk in behind my bag, grabbed the receipt as stuffed myself in the car, and fired up the heat!
 
The road wasn't terrible.  In spots it was slushy, in spots it was white, and gratefully there were few other cars on the road.  I made it home and slid into the tin shed.  I grabbed all my belongings, so as to make only one trip, and braced myself for the wind and snow.  My gas flap was ajar.  My gas cap was still on top of the pump.  This wasn't the first time.  The last time, I also didn't set it on the trunk of my car.  The last time was humiliating enough, having to buy a gas cap.  I thought the humiliation was enough to never forget.  I told myself not to forget when I broke habit and set the cap on the pump. 
 
To add humiliation to my situation, I texted Marie, who would still be in town at least another hour, and asked her if she would swing by on her way home from school with the kids to see if my gas cap was still there.  Going back for it was out of the question.  I asked, and just a bit ago, I received.  Nobody stole my gas cap from the gas station.  I am sure everyone that pulled through wished they knew what idiot could have forgotten their gas cap.  Gratefully, mine is not marked with an "if found, please return to Tori Vigil, Village Idiot of Miami, NM." 
 
Thanks, Marie, for bringing it back to me!

No comments: