Monday, January 24, 2011

Projects...

This picture doesn't do justice to this project of January 15th. Thomas and I had a 32" by 15" space above the counter and tucked in to the right of the oven fan. Originally there had been a smaller fridge that fit in perfectly to the right of the stove, but when it was replaced with a wider model, it left a big hole next to the stove. We moved in the cabinet, but finally I built a spice rack to fill the upper emptiness. It was not nearly as simple as I envisioned the project, but I am really psyched by how beautiful it came out. First, I used the planer to get my boards nice and clean and the desired thickness. I want a sturdy, spice rack, but no reason for it to be clunky. Then Thomas and I carried the boards down the highway to Pop's wood shop where we measured out the proper width of the boards. I got to put dado cuts in the side pieces, so the shelves would slide snugly into place. While Thomas used the scroll saw to shape the side pieces as I had marked, I used the drill press to cut out holes for our matching set of spice jars which have labels on the lids instead of the side. Thomas also used the bench sander to smooth out the side pieces. We carried our work back home, and it was starting to get chilly. We got the fire stoked and returned to Thomas' shop to assemble the piece. Thomas took great care to use very small finishing nails to secure it all and attached two thin pieces for a back. Mostly at this point, I help it for him and ran back in the house to check on the fire. I got COLD! Thomas got out his random orbiting sander and made it all nice and polished. When it was ready to come inside, we finished it off with lemon oil. It looks really beautiful in the kitchen - the kitchen really isn't worthy of something so nice. I am pleased with my design and especially grateful for Thomas teaching me to use all the different power tools.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow...that looks great! This Old House....here you come!

-oren