Monday, January 31, 2011

Miami Carnival....

I did leave off an important happening of the weekend.  It wasn't singing at Mass on Sunday.  It wasn't caving to comfort food and having fish burgers for dinner last night.  Nor was it watching Red Dawn for the first time.  No, the excitement between watching the boys shoot each other and getting wood was an impromptu game night!
 
Admittedly, I was excited about the prospects of getting to see my first live music in I don't know how long.  As a parish staff member, I had been given tickets to the fundraiser of one of our mission churches.  They had a twangy country band coming to play in Angel Fire, and I was wistfully thinking of two-stepping with my baby.  The downside is that it would be an hour drive up there on Saturday night and another hour drive home.  Coming through the canyon in the dark isn't exactly death-defying, but it is not nearly the same as the straight shot home down Colfax used to be.
 
I knew I would have had to go alone, so instead I asked Marie about hosting a game night.  I brought a bottle of wine and made a spaghetti squash and linguine dish with peppers, chile, tomatoes, and cheese.  She made corn, garlic bread and beef/shrimp skewers.  She also made dump cake, which was a delicious dessert!  Daniel and Julie were out of commission.  Mom and Pop were pooped (Pop and his tractor helped a neighbor bury a donkey).  So Thomas and I sat down to dinner with the Salas family and filled up on good food. 
 
Following the stories and the bottle of wine, we broke out some mead and Taboo.  I think the Stinky Boys might have fallen to the Cool Girls, but it was tough to tell.  It was a lot of fun, and the kids were really interested in getting to play with the buzzer.  Following Taboo, we kicked the kids off the Wii and played carnival games.  We each found our own niche within the alleys of games.  A few times the lead control may have been usurped to humiliate me in some of my lesser qualified events, but it was lots of fun and sometimes spastic.
 
Somewhere in the night the guys got it into their heads that we need to hold a Miami Carnival.  I imagine that it would be a virtual carnival of the Wii carnival games, but the turkey legs would not be virtual.  Nor would the funnel cake Marie makes.  I offered snow cones because my Snoopy Sno-Cone Machine made it to Miami in the trailer of goodies after the wedding.  The date has not been set, but Carny Night is real and coming soon to Miami.
 
(As I wrote this, Thomas told me that he heard on the radio that today is Old Board Game Day or something like that.  So he has picked a theme night for this blessed cold night - "Pick One Darn It!"  We each picked one pizza - but he gets credit for dressing up mine.  We will each pick one episode of Flight of the Conchords.  And then we will each pick one board game to play.  Should be a fun night...a precursor of fun and games to come....)

No comments: