Thursday, January 6, 2011

More prayers...

"What I need is beyond what you can give.
What I need is beyond what I can know."
 
These are the opening lines to a Justin Roth song, and I heard it yesterday on my way home from Raton.  I had to go up with our secretary to pick up the car of our maintenance man, who was being sent to Albuquerque via ambulance.  Chris is one of my rays of sunshine at work, and I love hearing his voice when he comes in.  He likes to sit next to my desk and tell me what Maria made him for lunch or about the days when he and his friend who plays accordion would jam.  Chris plays guitar at mass, too, and always brings a smile to my face.  His wife Maria is an amazing gardener, cook, and rock collector - we have swapped stories about rocks in our pockets because we just can't help but see how beautiful they are. 
 
Anyhow, I was feeling really blue and helpless.  Maria, who primarily only speaks Spanish, was really upset when we got to the hospital.  She doesn't drive, and we were all worried they wouldn't allow her in the ambulance, separating her from Chris by a few hours drive.  When we arrived, she knew she could go with him, so we left them and drove back.  My mind searched what I could do, but prayers and lighting candles in the chapel were all I knew. 
 
When I heard the lines above, I knew that I couldn't ask Maria what I could do because even she doesn't know what her needs are, and those we might name are beyond what I can give.  I cannot assure her that Chris will be fine.  I cannot put her in two places at once (her sister-in-law is in intensive care in Greeley for cancer).  I cannot make it all better, though I desperately want to help them both in this way.
 
And so I give it up to God.  I pray that Chris and Maria both have the strength to see this through, whatever "it" is.  I pray that they both trust in God to give them what they need.  And I invite you to join me in praying for them, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tori, I have felt the same way but continue to pray. January always seems tough. On another note- you made a rockin cake, David just ate his . Yummy

Marie