Thursday, January 20, 2011

What a day for a daydream...

Technology has stumped me again.  I took a picture this morning of the moon-set with my phone, and evidently I didn't save my handiwork because it lives on only in my imagination.
 
I have been hoping for a snow day...just because.  I have enjoyed a couple already this winter and loved the time I got to spend with Thomas.  I guess I am just always wanting more time with him.  With a snow day, I would have ample time to upload the pictures I have intended to post on the blog, but I could also bake bread or write letters or any of the other romantic notions of free time.  I have, in the interest of having more time at home, taken a ride into work with Marie and the kids for the second time.  She leaves at 7:05 am from home and leaves at 4 pm after school for home.  This puts me home a couple hours earlier than "normal", though there is nothing normal or consistent in my hours.
 
7:05 am is not the time I need to be ready.  It is the time I need to be out by the mailboxes waiting.  I generally prefer to hit the mailboxes and start walking towards middle of Miami, knowing full well that walking will keep me warmer than standing at the mailboxes in the cold.  This morning I was tempted to wait and forgo the walking for watching the moon.  Little did I know it would drop so quickly, but I stopped (and took a non-existent picture) and let my jaw drop a little.  The moon was full and bright with a smoky purple backdrop and a line of jagged mountains just below it.  It did snow a little, so the roads and fields had a light dusting of white.  It really was so breathtaking. 
 
I tried walking backwards down the road, but paying attention to what is coming towards you is key, as is not tripping into the middle of the highway.  It wasn't long before the van pulled up and accepted its new passenger.  With a front seat view of the moon, I asked the kids if they had seen it.  Evidently Maya and Sara got out binoculars to watch it.  Marie and I began our morning chatter, though I had to interrupt myself a couple times to say, "wow!"  Then, as if it was never there, the moon appeared to be swallowed up in nearly one gulp of the mountain.  Once the moon sunk a little behind the mountain, the sky just gave it up, and it dropped so quickly.
 
I may not have gotten a snow day, and I may not have any evidence.  But now I know what I would have missed if I slept in like I wanted.  You'll just have to imagine it...

No comments: