Monday, March 14, 2011

Memory lane...

When it comes to my memory, I am sometimes regarded with awe, sometimes with mockery, and sometimes with disgust.  It's not my fault I have a somewhat photographic memory. 

Like when I read last week that Ahna and Oren were headed off on a date night to Winter Carnival - a String Cheese Incident concert of three nights, I not only remembered that it was at Winter Carnival in 2002 that I finally got to meet Oren, but the flood of pictures surrounding that event came flooding back into my head.  Not actual pictures, but the images of Ganesha, Mary's and my first car together, our neighbor Andy who sold us his extra tickets to Winter Carnival, and a broken window.  Sometimes I wonder if I sometimes blur the times and events of the past together.  This one I did verify in my journal, so I know it's not made up!

Shortly before the concert, I had played games at Betty's in the evening.  When I came back out to the car, which was parked on Tremont facing north, I realized somebody had been in the car.  What is and was laughable about it is that there really wasn't anything of value in the car save for the broom I had borrowed from the house where I was dog-sitting to sweep snow off the car, and evidently, it wasn't valuable enough to the looters to be taken.  We also didn't lock the car because the people who gave us the car said that we wouldn't be able to use the key to unlock it.  The truth is that I might not have even known the car was broken into if the back passenger window hadn't been broken out.  That was what gave it away, and how foolish someone must have felt when the door was unlocked the whole time.  Anyway, it was an inconvenience to tape it up with a garbage bag, lose sight of our blind spot, and have to figure out replacing it on the cheap.
 
In the end Mary (and maybe Davis) helped track down a window from a junk yard, and I made an attempt to install it.  That was laughable, too!  I took apart the inside of the door - pulling off the window crank and the j-pin that held it in place, removing the arm rest, and trying to figure it all out.  I didn't have a long/thin enough screwdriver to get a couple of the screws out, so Mary went upstairs and asked the two guys who lived above us if they might have a more complete toolbox.  They didn't, but they tried to make something that ultimately didn't work.  When Mary went up, somehow the mention of Winter Carnival came up, and she told him we were going to see if we couldn't find tickets at the show.  When I went up to return the fake long-handles screwdriver, Andy told me that he had four extra tickets he would sell us for the show.  It just so happened that KU was enjoying March Madness, and Zach and friends, who had planned to attend the concert, would instead be watching their team in the NCAA basketball games.  Our luck!
 
So Ahna, Jennifer, Mary, and I bought tickets off Andy and went to the show.  I think we met Oren at Wendy's, but it is entirely possible that was another show.  Oh how little things trigger big ol' trips down memory lane for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We met at your house....I remember it pretty vividly (as vividly as I can)....14th and Adams....you guys had G. Love playing on the CD player, and I immediately thought you were pretty cool people!