Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Mini cows!

A week and a half ago, I had the birds and bees talk with Thomas.  Mostly I was asking about the heifers in the pastures that I pass on my way to Cimarron.  I was convinced they were all prego, but I don't know much about these things, and I drive so fast that it is sometimes hard to get a good look.  "/

Thomas thought, as we drove in to Cimarron, that the one field I was particularly convinced about might be full of pregnant cows.  They go wide, rather than have a bulge hanging below.  Well, on Saturday on the way to the dumpsters, I saw a heifer that looked like an over-sized football was lodged in her belly.  And then on Sunday, driving the other way, I saw that the field I had been watching had three mini cows in it!  They are so cute!  The calves are so tiny, and I know it won't be long that they are all grown up.

Today I had the pleasure of bringing Andres, Maya, and Sara home from school.  Along the way I really struggled to engage them with questions about this and that.  (I think they prefer to ride in the family room on wheels in which they all have ample room.)  Turns out they hadn't noticed the calves yet, so I had something fresh and new!

New life is a wonderful sign of spring moving in.  Just another five days...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE when all the calves start popping up and yes the kids ignore me each time I slow down to look at the fluffy babies. I also love the fawns all speckled, you can see lots of those near Philmont. I can't wait for the first buzz of humming birds. That is spring for me!!! ps thanks for getting them home today

Anonymous said...

I also gauge Spring by the appearance of large heifers, fuzzy young'uns, spotted and mottled "yearlings" and "whatnot" all walking in the middle of the road, loud, obstructive, annoying.... here where I work.

daniel