Sunday, June 26, 2011

My Two Dads

Yes - Father's Day was a week ago. I know. I have been feeling quite tired and busy, and so it goes. Lucky me, I got to celebrate Father's Day with "my two dads." It made me laugh when I recalled the TV show from my youth, but as I was working in the garden, across the property I could see Abba and Pop working away. At lunch I fixed them sandwiches, and they talked and hung out in the evening. Fun to see them together and having fun - or at least working hard. Abba came to visit, and he wanted to "work the land". He has all the latest toys and gadgets for the city, but he's never gotten to maneuver a tractor or backhoe. This, I think, was better than any bottle of scotch we could have found...
It takes some left brain, right brain coordination to navigate the controls for the first hour. Abba was a whiz at it pretty quickly. I played on it, too....way more fun than weeding!
Pop came over on Friday, and these two made quite a team - one digs the hole and the other gets rid of the pile!
Someone was a little jealous that my dad was hogging all the tractor work. He walked over to our house and took his turn getting to dig. Consequently, these three turned into instant supervisors.
The morning my dad had to hit the road, we had to get a picture to show the progress. The hole will eventually be roughly 30' x 40'. Here we are about a tenth of the way there.
(Oh yeah, this is really getting under way on digging out our basement. Only a few more cubic yards to go, and a few more after that, and a few more....)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you are refering to the youngest one with a little jealousy, as his mom, I was happy that he is old enough to realize he was a little jealous and proud that it helped him to understand how blessed he is to have so many guys around him to teach him and let him do all these fun things. With his dad, grandpa and two uncles around him he will grow up to be on awesome guy.