Sunday, June 12, 2011

Waking up in urban Miami

No, I don't live in that Miami, but I have to say that I have been mighty thrown off by a bird. We haven't been seeing tropical birds like toucans or macaws that might suggest a beachfront Miami, rather it is the sound of one (or more) silly bird. There are so many birds around here lately that it is almost a constant cacophony of chirping, singing, tweeting, etc. It is quite lovely, too. I really enjoy the sound of the hummingbirds coming into the feeder. My mother-in-law told me of a fat little yellow bird that she has been spotting on her hummingbird feeder, and sure enough we have had a similar visitor. There are the swallows that have started building one of their mud huts on top of our outdoor light. There are some really beautiful colors and sounds. So why did I wake up on Saturday morning at 6 am to a car alarm? Yes, if you lived in a city twenty years ago, you know the one that goes from ambulance siren, to police siren, to fire truck, to ice cream truck, to garbage truck...okay, maybe I am getting carried away. But there is that one distinct car alarm that runs through several short bursts of different shrill sirens. This is the sound I woke up to. It was confusing, and I couldn't sleep, so I watched a movie - BIG..with Tom Hanks. I think I even heard that car alarm when he stays at the St. James Hotel in NYC before his "tweener" bachelor pad. Anyhow, I made it out to work in the garden once Thomas was up and we'd eaten. As I worked away and he welded, I hollered at him, "Can you hear that? Do you hear that bird?" The car alarm was still going off, and I knew I hadn't dreamt or imagined it. Seriously, that bird kept singing through the different sirens over and over and over again! So how did this bird come to be in Miami? How did this sound become its tune? Do bird calls actually evolve over time? Has this one a migratory pattern from Albuquerque where its great-great-great grandma learned this new song and passed it down in the oral tradition to be remembered every spring? Will this species of birds still be singing the car alarm song in years to come, outliving the people who remember where the sound came from? Silly little bird....we're in the country...no need for a car alarm...

No comments: