Saturday, July 26, 2008

happy birthday to me...

Wow - it was just a year ago I was celebrating my birthday in Portland, the big three - oh!

 

My birthday sort of started a couple weeks ago when Joyce and Andy's package arrived, but I held off opening it, just kept looking at it next to the front door.  A package from home arrived on Thursday, so I stacked it with the other and waited until today.  Last night, out to dinner with Tom, a gentleman I recently began seeing, and his friends, the servers came over with ice cream and a "happy 21st birthday" - oh sure, give or take ten years. 

 

But today it is.  I decided tearfully last spring while talking to Mom that I couldn't possibly come home.  This is my first year without Grandpa - how lucky to have had the thirty years together!  I am still sad sometimes that I don't have him physically in my life, but I am grateful he is with God.  I talk with him sometimes.  I had a little cry about it today and was grateful to talk with Grandma and Roxy and Abba.  Auggie and Nick talked to me tonight, and I got a great song from the three M's.  Mom and Miki had to wish well early since they are both out of the country.  I had a pretty leisurely day...sleeping in and breakfast, lots of phone calls, and a BBQ with my friends.  Mary and Jennifer put in lots of prep time, and I enjoyed having them in the kitchen.  Andrea and Shaun came over and entertained me as I tried to light the grill.  Jenny stopped by after church, and Britta and Ryan popped in after a hike.  It was lovely and low key.  Five of us caught WALL-E at the movies, and now I am pooped! 

 

Today, I am grateful for my friends and family.  I appreciate that I can walk on two feet and carry things in both hands (things that are not crutches).  And I feel blessed.  peace


No comments: