Wednesday, June 11, 2008

bummed out...

bummed out? drugged out? Or really, really blessed? I think they are all true. First of all, on my way to Betty's house to drop off my things for after surgery, a bungee got loose and caught in my back wheel, wrapped around the gear and ruined it. I was able to ride safely to Betty's house by the grace of God. Thank you, God! So blessed! Secondly, my surgery went really well, and Fr. Don found me just in time to give me a blessing before they sent me off to the other floor. The staff were all really wonderful. I was well-drugged and don't remember any of it. Unfortunately, when I came to in the recovery section, I was experiencing a lot of pain in my right glute (butt muscle) and side of my leg. I was writhing in bed trying to find a comfortable position, but it just hurt until I cried. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, so I was really discouraged. They asked if I wanted to stay over, and I cried more and said I wanted to go home, but in the end I stayed to get the pain under control. I talked to a lot of people on drugs, and I mostly remember everyone I talked to, even my sister who said I would forget. So drugged out! Thirdly, my doctor showed me pictures of what they saw: some really pretty labrum and some "shredded" labrum. This they trimmed out. Unfortunately, they also found exposed bone on my femur head. The cartilage was damaged, and seemingly has been deteriorating a bit. They created three holes in the bone, so it would bleed - a micro-fracture. The idea is that it creates a cartilage like scab/scar tissue over it to protect it. I felt like I had an ah-ha for those days in the month after the accident when the pain was so deep I couldn't reach it or touch it. Because of this injury, my best case scenario went out the window. I expect to be on crutches for five weeks, and it will be six months before Dr. Bazaz thinks we will know how well the surgery went. Bummer, huh? But all in all, I am super blessed with friends who are taking car of me. Jennifer brought my blanket to the hospital; Mary stopped by for a visit; Britta and Ryan are taking my bike in for an estimate; Anna Belle and Minerva came to the hospital during gathering for a visit (and support when the doctor came to deliver the bad news); Johnson picked me up and took me to Betty's house; Erik made a shirt for me and left it at Betty's house; and Betty made me lunch and dinner, picked up my prescription, and is thoroughly taking care of me for a little while. Five weeks! July 15th is five weeks. That is a really long time, and though I struggle to do so, I need to ask for help. Minerva and her boyfriend and Andrea and her boyfriend helped me move big stuff into my apartment, but I need help packing the little stuff, my plants, my clothes, and getting stuff moved to my new apartment. I also need help cleaning the Columbine House. If you are able, I would be most appreciative. Or if you can just give me a ride somewhere, I will need that, too. Though I can bike on a stationary bike, I am not sure when the doctor will clear me for street biking. Thanks, friends. tori

No comments: