Sunday, June 15, 2008

a not too lazy Sunday

While I feel like I am no doing much, it still takes great effort to do the little I do. But it didn't take any effort to think good thoughts about my dad all day (we talked yesterday and left messages today). This morning I woke up feeling pretty uncomfortable in my own skin. I popped my percoset and stretched out on the recliner. Betty brought up the paper and some good morning conversation. Later she made me an omelet - delicious! - with tea and juice and grapes. We talked about family and growing up and how I got to be so responsible and independent. It was a nice slow morning, and I didn't feel up to managing the stairs just yet, so I stayed as comfortable as I could in the recliner. Mom and I talked briefly, and she suggested that I should see about getting a wheelchair for things like going to the park for jazz in the evenings. What a great idea! Then I would have a place to sit! Betty offered to walk down to St. Paul's and wheel one back, so while she did that, Britta and Ryan stopped by (after taking my bike to the shop to be fixed). It was pretty funny to me - Britta called and asked where the bathroom was and if the door could be open when she got here. Well, I move as quick as I can, but it is definitely not two stairs at a time. And when I reached the second floor I realized I needed to go back up to get my key to the front door. I was five steps from the bottom when I saw her coming up the steps. She made it to the bathroom, but I had a little giggle at the whole predicament. It was nice to sit in the backyard and talk with them...until my amazing bike tech called from Denver Bike and said it was an easy fix - PHEW!!! Britta and Ryan took off, so they could deliver the bike to my new home (won't get to ride it for a while) before heading home. Hooray! My heroes! And the best part is that they celebrated six years of marriage last Sunday, and today I wished them a belated happy anniversary and apologized for not saying it sooner, to which Britta replied that it was the third time I wished them a belated anniversary this week. Hee hee...guess I don't remember everything I said, Miki. Brian, a colleague, picked me up for a work meeting at two, which was only about four blocks away. I felt pretty stupid trying to get in work mode while the percoset was making my mind swim. After a couple hours, he took me back to Betty's house to rest my brain. We played some dominoes and waited for a super special dinner. Jon and Vernita made eggplant parmesan - such a special treat. They stopped by on their way to Jazz in the Park, and the conversation was a treat, too. I had two pieces and had to restrain myself. Betty and Jennifer only had one piece each. Jennifer helped me and the little travel wheelchair get to the park. I dared not miss it, since it is our "family dinner" now and Mary and Hafner's last one before they leave for Mexico on Thursday. It was a real trek to get into the park, but I enjoyed seeing Mary and Char and other friends. I especially enjoyed stopping at Lik's for a treat on the way home to Betty's. Tomorrow I have an appointment with my doctor and will try to go to the office to do some work. We'll see...to bed for me now. PS - I pooped again, what a relief! "/

1 comment:

Lee said...

I'm so glad surgery went well and you are recovering nicely. Poop is always good ;)