Saturday, November 27, 2010

Another first...

We haven't been out logging since hunting season started, but with the Thanksgiving holiday, there was a break in the hunt. It meant open season for dead trees, and all of us were excited for the hunt. Last night we made plans for this morning, and Marie even made burritos for all of us last night. Thomas and I took some good ribbing from everyone about being ready at 8:30 am this time. (Thomas and I were under the impression that we were heading out at 8 am two trips ago. When nobody showed up, we learned that start time was pushed back, and everyone else got to sleep in an extra half hour plus. The next time we went out, we were told 8:30 - 9 am. We decided we would be ready at 9 am, as the latter time was generally as early as anyone else could get going. Miraculously, they were all waiting at our mailbox by 8:45 am that morning.) So after a great party last night, Thomas and I set the alarm to get up early for wood cutting. We were meeting at our mailbox at 8:30 am. He and I each had a piece of pumpkin pie for breakfast and rolled out the door layered up for warmth. We parked at the end of our road and waited. We waited a little longer. First came Pop's truck, then Blackie, then the Salas crew. I don't know what time it officially was when everyone showed up, but it wasn't 8:30 am. Ah well... The road was cold but sunny. Things started off great until bouncing along the road. I thought I might be sick. I have had moments of car sickness in my life, but not consistently. I can usually read, sleep, play games, etc while driving without a problem, but this morning it was all I could do to just breathe through it. It is possible to attribute the cause to the partying last night, or maybe just the terribly, terribly bouncy road. We found our spot, gratefully not driving any farther than we had to. The guys got out their gear, and the trucks slowly filled up. Unfortunately we had a slight delay from our crew, as Thomas' chainsaw, which has never given him any troubles, decided that this morning was not a good day to start. The pull cord came right out with his second tug, and I thought that chainsaw was going to get strangled. Amazingly, my handy man just pulled it apart and put it right back together! The chainsaw acting up was not the other first. My first today was getting to fell a tree! I felled one with not much problem, but the second one was in a tight spot with a really gnarly top. It snagged in the tree next to it, and Thomas had to chop, chop, chop to get it loose. But I did it! And Pop caught it on picture for proof.
Thomas coached me through my first one!
The whole family on the hunt for dead trees! David, Andres, Marie, Sara, Maya, Daniel, Alice, Mike, Tori, Thomas, and Tio Dennis

No comments: