Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Teens

Rumor has it that it could get into the teens the next few nights, or at least feel that way.  We didn't have any precipitation tonight, but maybe Thursday...and it could have a little snow in it...

The days are warm and sunny here in Miami.  I found myself in short sleeve shirts outside this past weekend, and boy does the sun feel good.  Even just opening the shades on our windows during the day will keep it pretty warm inside.  But the winds of fall picked up some colder weather that blew in today.  Plus the howling wind makes it feel a lot colder, especially at night. 

Last night there were all sorts of animals all over the road, hanging out in the middle of the road, running back and forth.  Tonight the road was empty of life, save for the four or five cars I passed going the other way.  Everyone wanted to be home protected from the wind tonight!

Thomas and I have been burning fires nearly every night.  It is amazing how well it heats up the place.  Atop the fireplace sits my grandparents old cast iron kettle, great for keeping full of water to help put a little moisture into our dry, dry air.  When I was a kid, my parents had the same one that sat atop our wood-burning stove.  It was our job to make sure that it stayed full of water and never boiled down.  Dad, at least I think it was his thing, kept cinnamon sticks in the kettle, so that not only did the fireplace humidify the house, but it also filled it with a wonderful smell.  I mention this only because the cinnamon smells so good in our house, too.  (Portland, as compared to Denver and Miami, is such a humid place.  It makes me wonder if I shouldn't have two kettles on my stove.)

Ooops, time to more wood on the fire...

 

No comments: