Thursday, November 18, 2010

Get off the sidewalks!!

Actually, we don't have sidewalks.  Our roads are lined with ditches and grassy shoulders.  I definitely would recommend staying off those....
 
WHEN I AM DRIVING THE CLASS A FIRE TRUCK!  Oh yeah...that's right!  Nothing like putting tons of metal and tons of water on wheels and steering it down bumpy roads!
 
I was late getting out of the office, and I put the pedal to the metal (within reason and safety because it was really dark) and made it to fire hall just 10 minutes late.  The third Thursday of the month is for training.  Last month we ran the wildland fire trucks and tested the pumps.  When I pulled up tonight, every truck was out of the garages and running with the lights on.  I made my way into the hall to see what I had missed.  There was a brief conversation going on among the four guys there, but shortly after I arrived, Daniel headed out to the bay and told me to come along.  He told me to pick a truck, and I hesitated.  He was looking at the big trucks, not the wildland fire trucks.  So I told him to choose for me...I don't know much difference between them yet, and I hoped he would pick the easiest to maneuver. 
 
He turned everything off and showed me how to start the Class A.  I climbed up into it, not mentally prepared for what was happening.  We flashed the lights but skipped the horn.  I pushed the emergency brake off and stepped on the gas.  Turns out I didn't push hard enough; the second attempt was followed with "away we go".  Daniel suggested we head out to the dumpsters.  I knew the way.
 
As I drove, I asked all the silly questions.  Does this truck actually fit between the yellow and white lines on the road?  How fast can you drive this thing?  Does it have brights?  Daniel, my excellent instructor who was not bossy at all, warned me when to slow down and explained that it drives like most automatics.  However, there is a whole tank of water sloshing around behind the driver that affects how it handles.  That big wheel, circling through my hands, made me think of all the times I've imitated driving a school bus, but for as heavy a beast I was driving, everything seemed to bounce. 
 
I had to make a three point turn the way I decided to go, a great way to learn what not to do for next time.  I thought I was making it easier for myself to turn around at the dumpsters and head back to the fire house, but no....Daniel took me for an adventure.  I did get the brights turned on, but the fact is that it was dark.  I don't know how my view was affected by being up so high, but the lights on that car did not illuminate that far in front of me, especially for as slow as I was driving.  The dirt road past the dumpsters that headed west and cut down through the polo ranch back to the highway seemed like a safer bet for me, as it meant there would be less of a chance of running into other traffic and having to share the road.  As great as those mirrors were, there was no light behind me to illuminate anything I might see.  Daniel was, however, surprised that I hadn't been down that road before, which did make it interesting.  He called out the "hairpin turn" and other places I needed extra caution.  Driving the road for the first time in the dark would have been reason enough to drive slow, and driving the Class A for the first time was also reason enough to drive slow.  So the combination of the two meant that Daniel and I were both late for dinner.
 
We made it back to town, and it dawned on me that I was going to have to pull past the fire house and back the truck into the bay.  Wow!  I have never used air brakes before, and they didn't feel really smooth as I lurched my way back.  With Pop guiding me from the back wall of the fire house and Daniel at my side, I did a decent hob parking the truck.  I didn't scratch anything or run into anyone.  Pretty good, right?  Couldn't have done it without my those two guys.
 
It was fun, and I am assured that there will be many more trainings.  I understand next month's training will be in social skills, involve adult beverages, and have holiday tunes in the background.  Till then...

No comments: