Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Getting in the spirit...

Today was a fantastic day for getting in the spirit of Advent and Christmas!

Because Thomas was coming in to Cimarron tonight, I took a ride with Marie to work, so Thomas and I could drive home together at the end of the evening.  I set my alarm extra early, and surprisingly, it wasn't snoozed for half an hour this morning.  (A real surprise because I stayed up too late finishing The Help.)

I dressed and readied myself for work, indulging in a pumpkin empanada for breakfast.  When I checked the clock, I knew I was early.  I told Marie I would meet her by the mailboxes at 7:05 am, so as not to delay her for her kindness.  The kitchen clock said 6:55 am (and it was likely a few minutes fast), but I am lousy at dawdling in the morning.  Not that I don't know how, but I will likely dawdle too long and then be late.  I decided I would just bundle up and head out.

It wasn't possible that I had missed her, and it was too chilly to stand and wait.  I enjoyed daybreak - the purple hues slowly fading into blue sky over the mountains.  And then I walked.  I just started trekking down the highway with my bags hung on my shoulder.  It felt good to get in a brisk walk like I used to during my days of walking through the neighborhood in Denver to work.  I was glad to have my shemagh wrapped around my cheeks and nose, my hat pulled down over my ears.  I made it all the way to Salado Creek Rd, down it, and about five yards up the Salas drive before sticking out my thumb and catching Marie as she drove out.  What a great way to start the day!

To end the day on a great note, Thomas picked me up from the office and took me to the middle school.  There we found a seat on the back of the bleachers next to our neighbors Art & Jo.  We enjoyed catching up and talking about life as the gym filled up with parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles.  Finally, the show was to start...the HeadStart through High School Christmas Performance.  We heard Andres on his horn and Maya on her recorder.  Marie was on her knees in leading her preK students through a few songs with clapping and jingle bells (the most entertaining for sure).  And Sara, maybe not so confident in the words of her class's songs, was looking around to see all the people watching her as she twirled in her little snowflake smock with the other kindersnowflakes.  All so precious!  I am thrilled for a new tradition and look forward to many more performances.

Not trying to steal the show, I am sure, was Daniel pushing Julie out of the gym when Santa showed up, eliciting a few giggles from the bleachers.  The race to be out the parking lot and not stuck behind a line of traffic was on!  Thomas and I were trapped behind the rows of people, but we made it out quickly enough.  We weren't worried about traffic so much as getting a table and service right quick at the St. James.  Not many trickled in after us from the show, but we got in and served right away.....phew...

Less than a week to ready ourselves for our trip....

No comments: