Thursday, December 16, 2010

Social skills....

Today was a full day.  Up early, I left Miami a crisp morning with a sky full of clouds.  An hour later the snow was coming down hard in Miami, so I was told.  I had much to do, but all the same, I called Marie during her usual morning break to ask her if she would check on me before heading home, just in case little Pita and I were snowed in.

The snow flurried gently in Cimarron in the morning, but didn't accumulate or stick (nor did it accumulate or stick in Miami).  The forecast of moisture up to three inches did not materialize, and I was able to drive myself home.

Ordinarily (as in the past few times out of almost half a dozen), I watch the clock on a first and third Thursday, so I don't miss FireHall - how I refer to meetings at the fire hall.  The first Thursday is business meeting for all fire fighters and Ladies Auxiliary, and the third Thursday is a training meeting for the fire fighters.  This particular third Thursday was our social skills training.  It isn't something you can learn driving the truck or operating the pump, so we all brought food to the training and held it in a more sociable setting, the McBraer home.  We also brought adult beverages to help unwind from the day's work and help practice being social.  It was a very good training.  There were many tasty treats, including a delicious spinach veggie dip that Thomas made.  I think everyone is feeling more confident in their social skills, so next month we can probably get back to truck driving or other pertinent training for fire fighters.

I am feeling especially exhausted and look forward to getting close to my last day of work before vacation.  (I teach confirmation on Sunday, so I won't be quite finished until Sunday.)

No comments: