Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Luckiest girl...

Those of you with family miles and miles away may be familiar with the tendency for small children to forget you and not want you closer than three feet unless in Mom's arms. My typical four day visits, while frequent for my budget, are not frequent enough to endear myself to Mia and Monica, Pat and Amy's youngest two (or my goddaughter Maddie's baby sisters). Mia (3) likes to swat me away and tell me "no", "don't do that", and "no, you can't say that". Monica (1) usually just fake cries and holds tight to Amy. Today the three of us girls had a MAJOR break through. If only I had found a digital camera already, then maybe you could see them. My morning started with an early walk to the Rhododendron Garden with Monica in Amy's backpack and Mia in the stroller I pushed. Mia was quite chatty, while maintaining her scolding of me. But when she saw the ducks and geese, she lit up. She forgot she doesn't like me and told me all about the ducks and how falling in the water would be "a BIG mistake." I know this from personal experience. She was so enthralled she held my hand and engaged with me. I even negotiated with her a little. Back at the house, we read a book, she let me help dress her, we sang songs, and she let me have a tickle fight with her. It was upon remarking what a great girl she is one-on-one that she smacked me on the forehead back into reality. I blew it. I left to take my older goddaughters, Sophie and Ava, to lunch. I loved pulling them out of school, and it was so much fun eating our pizza and talking about school, family, and soccer. They let me walk home with them after school, too, so I could see their new house. It was so much fun, though I had a long walk back to Amy's to help make dinner. I get to see those girls again on Friday. I got to talk to Minerva, Anna Belle, and Walter at Metro CareRing. I pass my love along to everyone, and in a week I will be back in Denver. It was funny calling my extension and reaching Minerva. Despite the threats of phone calls, I hadn't heard from MCR yet, so it was good to hear it hadn't burned down. Plus, I got a few jokes out of Walter! Back to Amy's and Maddie showed me how she can ride a two-wheeler with no training wheels! I was pretty impressed. Dinner was amazing - Erin would be impressed: potato leek au gratin, steamed zucchini with a fresh herb sauce, fennel with sauce, and peach crisp. So delightful! The cottage cheese, applesauce, and toast the three little girls had didn't hold up, but it did leave the girls a mess, so in to the bath tub they went. I was lucky enough to be the lifeguard on duty, so Pat and Amy could talk with Grandma. The girls didn't care that Mom wasn't nearby. After sufficient bubble-beards and scrubbies, out they came and dried off, and guess who got to hold Monica, diaper her, find her "Ducky" (blanket), and play with her in the basement - just me! It was remarkable, so that's why I'm writing it down. I stayed for night prayers and walked home a foot off the ground. Granted, the next time I visit, they may think I'm scarier than a monster in the closet, but for now I will sleep happily. Tomorrow brings another reunion - Lee (Josephson) Vandegrift and her son Jake. Then another train ride and reunion - Joyce and Andy, the friends I visited in Okinawa, Japan, and their dog Kyoko. I feel blessed! tori
"a musical mia original"
the eentsy teensy spider went up the water spout
down came the lamp on bonked him on the head
(at this point much laughter ensues,
and the song must be started over to attempt another line)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I loved eating pizza with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love you