Friday, August 19, 2011

Eating My Words

Yesterday I received a message from a colleague, catching me up to date.  It included the predictable question about the weather.  It's not just that anyone and everyone asks.  This area has been experiencing such a terrible drought this year, so people know this and often pray for us to get rain and want to know if anything has changed.  Mostly the answer is no.  And in a lot more words, I responded about how little rain we've had, and though there have been good storms here and there, they really are too few and far between. 
 
Now I feel like I am supposed to eat my words.  Yesterday it was a little overcast at 5 pm when I got home, but hot.  I set to doing a few things outside, and then Tom got home.  Hot and tired, he layed down, and I turned the cooler on for him because there was no wind, and the heat was just exhausting.  I kept about my tasks and debated about weeding in the garden, but headed in the house to check on Tom.  By 6:00pm the sound of a few raindrops tapping the roof was enticing me to the window.  It only sprinkled a little at first, but by the time we were supposed to leave for firehall, it was a downpour.  We were testing the pumpers at training, and we were both pretty soaked from working outside.  It was a welcome change to be working out in the rain, though I don't like to be clammy.  In the hour and a half we were gone, the 55 gal rain barrel filled up (and it only collects from the mud room section).  It rained on and off for quite a while into the night. 
 
I had expected it to have been muddy this morning, but that is just how dry it was - the ground soaked it all right up!  Crazy!  I know the garden was grateful for it, and I am grateful for not having to water it for a couple days.  As I passed the lake on my way to work, it was noticeably fuller, though still terribly low.  I hope there is more rain coming our way!

No comments: