Monday, November 26, 2007

It did it again...

I didn’t try to jinx myself. Mondays just happen to me. I was hoeing straw, so we can get the mud good and thick for construction this morning. It was not even a hard swing, just a little duffer, but I hit my big toe. I looked down and saw that the skin pulled off. Shoot!!! I worked a little more because it wasn’t bothering me, but I decided to bandage and clean it. Once I did that, it bled a bunch. I ended up adding another bandage or paper towels and some plastic from an old bread bag over the old one and going back to work. I didn’t think to bring in my work clothes last night, so this morning they were cold and dewey. Thus, I was wearing my chacos instead of my boots! Goodness!! Somethings can be prevented, but you never know when. Poor Kaitlyn is a bit taller than I am, and she hit her head on the roof of the open-air building by the drying racks. Even worse, she did it a second time walking into the roof. She stopped and held her head, but I was really worried because she walked into the end of the corrugated metal! At first it seemed there was no cut, but I found it right along her hairline. It wasn’t deep, so she just chilled while I collected more straw. We came up with a story about a hoe-fight, though it played out more like an episode of Scooby-Do: Scooby and Shaggy are slowly walking back along a corridor, and approaching the corner, Daphne backs in to them; they think it is a ghost and run. But in our story, we both spin around with our hoes, Kaitlyn catching me in the foot, and I catch her in the head. It is definitely a better story than the truth. We switched jobs to mudding the tienda and adding more bottles. I also got to go into the trees to collect some more palos with the cloppers, which meant getting to use the machete again! No injuries, either! We ran out of mud right about quitting time, so I came back to clean up breakfast dishes. I also changed the bandage in total and have elevated it almost the whole time of our siesta, and it hasn’t bled through the band-aid yet. We will do more mudding this afternoon, but now we are trying to catch a nice breeze to relieve of us of the heat. We made more mud than this morning, so it took a little longer. We all shared a lot of laughs and teasing as we mudded the inside of the tienda. Patch tried to get us singing, but I really prefer just to listen to him. Last week he disclosed he was in musicals in high school, so we all know he can sing; the trouble is whether he remembers the words. Jorge got the car running again. It has been almost a week since it broke down in Mendoza. Azucena had work to do and left us to our mudding. I did pick up the hoe again, and there were no more injuries for the afternoon. We started dinner for ourselves because Azucena usually returns late when she goes to El Peregrino, but she returned and brought Nacho back with her. We laughed quite a lot at dinner, and I shot a video of Nacho. I am realizing how sad it will be for me to leave, and how I wish I could take so much of this place with me. We played cards after dinner, and all went to bed feeling a bit restless and tired, I think. A difficult contradiction – the rain began and put us too sleep, but also made us all have to get up and pee! Happy birthday to Todd and Mark and Michelle! A belated happy birthday to Johnson! Paz afuera - tori

No comments: