Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Uh-oh!!

I woke up this morning feeling like barfing again! Argh!!! I think maybe it was the chocolate milk. I might have indulged in too much, but it was so good! I took the morning a little slow. We were surrounding the tomatoes with dried garlic, so it was an easy slow job for me. Patch went into Mendoza to help Azucena with the shop. He was also going to buy Sancho Panza, a pet mouse. Katie didn't end up leaving yesterday because she didn't have a ride, but this morning she did - ciao! As the morning progressed, my stomach started feeling better, so I ate some crackers I bought last sick-o time, crackers I hoped I wouldn't really need again. A new volunteer also arrived. Caitlin is from Dundee, Oregon, so we had much to talk about. Yoga felt nice. With Azucena gone, Jorge is running the show, and I really love that afternoon yoga before lunch. Rest was also good, though I never nap well. In the afternoon we got to weave all the poplars we stripped yesterday into what will be a new dormitorio for volunteers. Myrna, Caitlin and I enjoyed talking about lots, even about some of you. The heat has been getting to be too much, so it was nice to not be out in the fields, but wouldn't you know, when we finished that project (not completed, just used up all our palos), we planted spinach in the fields. It was much cooler. I wanted to wrap up and clean up because Luis was picking me up at 8:30 pm. He has two horses that come to graze in the fields during the day, and he asked if I wanted a ride. I thought that would be fun. We had a bit of difficulty communicating, but these older Argentinean men are always so nice to us young women. Anyhow, he picked me up in his truck, and we drove to the city. We made small talk, but I was really confused. We stopped at a store, so I bought a couple pieces of fruit, a new toothbrush, and some soap. He was trying to practice his English, but I didn't understand it at all. He brought me back to the finca and asked for five pesos. What?? I was so confused that whole time, but he asked if I wanted a ride. He uses his truck as a taxi, so there will be no horseback riding. What a misunderstanding! I didn't need a ride into town, and if I knew that is what I was getting, I would have gotten ice cream, used the phone, etc. The others laughed when I returned. We played cards and ate soup. Azucena and Patch are stuck in Mendoza with a brokedown car, so it was a quiet night. Ciao! victoria

No comments: