Saturday, November 17, 2007

Un gran aventura!!!

Holy shirt! This morning I didn´t want to get out of bed. Peggy planned to visit Manzano Historico, a town at the foothills. It is our day off, so last night I went into the city with a few others for dinner (not that great) and ice cream (delicioso). They were trying to convince me to sleep, but I wanted to get away from the farm, and I am healthy again. So when Peggy woke me, I was undecided. I got ready, and that was decision enough. We walked into town to the bus station and learned the times changed and we had half an hour. This was a blessing because we stopped for fruit and vegetables at a shop close to the station. I fell asleep on the bus to awake at a dusty stop. There were lots of campgrounds, half occupied. There were a couple little cafes, closed. The information booth and museum, closed. Nada! So lucky we bought food in Tunuyan because we planned to buy lunch in Manzano. We decided just to walk up the road into the mountains and see where it led us. A couple guys heading into town told us there was a path a couple kilometers ahead and great views 40 kilometers ahead. Yeah right!! We found the park and walked through a lovely area of rose plants and streams. We were debating about the hunger tugging at us because we didn´t exactly have a destination. It seemed to be a good place to return for an afternoon nap. The trail wandered aimlessly up the little river. The road was not far to our left - just a dirt road. We ended up on the road when the path turned really wet. Pegy doesn´t have waterprrof boots. One part was so amazing. It was like a floating lawn. The grass and mud rippled like water as we walked across. Really bizarre, but fun. We passed a hotel that burned down. Evidently, it was better just to rebuild behind it, so the old tangled metal and stone frame stands on display like outdoor art. We came to a sign for Cruz del San Pedro. This seemed a good place to hike to and eat. Along the way we spoke only Spanish. Peggy is French and speaks Spanish better than English. We talked about much, and I really enjoyed the practice. We had a great discussion about religion on our way to the cross. The trail kept going up, up, and away. I lamented we would never make it, but it really wasn´t that bad. There were pretty cactus flowering and occasional butterflies. The sun warmed us, and the cloud cover cooled us, and the wind refreshed us. It was perfect!! We reached the top, a vista of the the valley and more snow-capped peaks. I was in love. Me encanta mucho! Even better, it was lunch time! We pulled out our crackers and produce. I ate crackers with palta y pimiento rojo y pasas de uvas y una banana y un mandarin. I think it is one of my favorite meals. The views, the fresh produce - especially fruit! Surprisingly, there isn´t a lot of good fresh fruit here. This is in part because it is Spring here, and they don´t import produce from all over the world like the US. our peaceful lunch was interupted by a cuatro cyclos, an ATV. Neither of us were terribly pleased, but he left quickly. Then he returned and came closer. We talked briefly, and before long, we made friends with Carlos, a man in his fifties who is a member of a paragliding club. He was picking something up, I think. In the end Carlos contributed greatly to our adventure. The trail was really steep in places and just loose rock and dust. Neither of us wanted to walk back down that way, but we didn´t have to. Carlos strapped our backpacks on the front, and we hopped on behind him. There were a few times I thought the 4x4 would slide out under us because it was so steep, but it was lots of fun. When we reached the bottom, he asked us if we knew the rest of the road. Arriving on foot, we hadn´t really made it that far, so he took us to the end of the road. We saw a beautiful waterfall, lots more snow, beautiful vistas from new directions, and some rock climbers. At the end of the road, well not really the end, but the military has a station set up because it is close to Chile. They are just trying to control the border. Anyway, we talked with Jose for a while. He pointed out the rock climbers, and we talked about his post at the end of the road - a month long assignment. The return was beautiful, too, and I didn´t know where he would leave us. We returned to the building for the papagliders, just an open air building, and he invited us to barbecue. We needed to catch the bus in two hours, so we thought it would be too late for us. So instead we got back on and went to his house. He is actually building the house, but we went to his land and had maté, the tea everyone drinks here. I actually liked it because he added sugar. He asked hard questions, like what my opinion was of Argentina before I came and now, particularly aboput the people. In truth, the people I have met are few because I am almost always at the farm and because my Spanish isn´t the best. But everyone extends such amazing hospitality. Doors are always open, and people are so happy to be helpful or offer their time. I couldn´t have an adventure like today´s in the States, I think. I wouldn´t accept a ride from a stranger, let alone go to his house. It is so wonderful how people are trusting and can be trusted. This is a very special place. We enjoyed discussions about much more - travel and family and my need for a new adapter for my computer charger. He said we are welcome back anytime - in the near or not so new future. When I get my photos online, you can see. His wife Miriam works close to Azucena in Tunuyan, so he knows the finca. So fun! We watched one bus come and go, so we thought we might have to hitchhike back to town or the other farm. In the end they have actually added a bus to the route. While we waited, we visited the museum, now open. On the road we met a local guy selling this and that. He was quite fun to talk with and told us about dulce de leche from goat´s milk. We ended up buying a couple jars. So delicious! The bus showed up just in time, and now we need to walk back to the finca from town. We have a bonfire tonight for two birthdays. Tomorrow we work planting in the afternoon because the moon will be in the right phase for planting again. (Thus we had today off.) If I can find an adapter, I will try to return in the morning to upload all the other things I wrote this week. With much sun in my smile, tori

No comments: