Monday, May 23, 2011

Feeling hot - hot - hot!

Not so much all of me is feeling hot, but the back of my head is feeling scorched! 
 
I spent a good portion of the day Saturday and Sunday working outside.  Thus, the first thing I did in the morning, aside from brushing my teeth and putting in my contacts, was to slather my arms and face with sunscreen - SPF 45.  I wore long pants and a t-shirt, donned my sunglasses and my dirty looking UVM baseball hat.  The hat was a gift from my sister years and years ago - go catamounts!
 
Sun protection is totally necessary out here (don't ask Thomas about it, though).  Miami is about 6300' above sea level - 1000' feet higher than Denver.  The sun shines hotter and burns faster and dries everything out.  I have both family and friends who love the "burn and let it fade" method or coloring their skin, but out here one rarely finds a burn before it has progressed to the fried stage.  Re-hydrating becomes harder, and then usually no amount of pills will soothe the headache.  Not to mention how alcohol consumption intensifies the headache and dehydration.  I feel like Debbie Downer, but the truth is we generally never learn this lesson from someone else's mistakes.  I have certainly had my share of red skin and seen it even worse on other people.  And I can't count on two hands all the people I know who have had melanoma removed.  Okay - enough scare for one Monday....I need to give it a rest.  So anyway....
 
Yesterday I did take my hat off when the wind kicked up because I couldn't keep it from blowing away.  However, this is not the culprit so much as the gaping hole in the back of the hat that totally let the sun get me.  I wonder now if I didn't sleep well last night because I kept rolling around trying not to rest my head on that tender spot.  This morning as I tried to rub aloe into my hair without matting it, I realized why cowboy hats make so much more sense.  Yes, indeed, I will be putting the baseball cap to rest unless I wear a handkerchief over the back of my head.

No comments: