Sunday, May 22, 2011

How many??

I counted up the wheels on motorized vehicles on our property, and no lying - there are twenty - 20!!!  No, Thomas does not drive a Mack truck!  And all are running...these are not cars up on blocks or anything like that.  It was a little shocking as I counted up to twenty, and then I wondered what happened to me.  Would anyone recognize me as the green girl who biked, walked, carpooled, or bussed everywhere?!?!  Is there a coefficient or formula for calculating green-hippie-ness that justifies wheels to acreage or something?  Eeesh!!
 
When Thomas and I arrived to Miami a year an one week ago,  we came with ten wheels: his truck, my little Pita, and his motorcycle.  A long while back Thomas brought home the dirt bike he left at his brother many moons ago.  This bumped us up to twelve.  Not yet a month ago, we decided to add a more fuel efficient vehicle to our fleet, as the cost of Thomas's commute was finally getting to us.  (Yes, the logic might elude some as to how buying a car without trading in or selling the other is cheaper...just deal with it.)  This bumped us up to sixteen wheels.
 
Now my sister can sympathize with me, as she and her husband just jumped back into the two-car family lifestyle.  There's no telling how much longer she could bike to work with her belly hanging from one side to the other.  Eventually, she is going to need something for a car seat, and a bicycle built for two is not necessarily what a pediatrician recommends (and she is a pediatrician).  We laughed about how she became a two-car family again, just as we became a three-car family, plus motorcycles.
 
Yes, I have not told about the last four wheels.  They arrived Wednesday night and have been driven now by five of the family.  Thomas came home with a tractor.  I don't think anyone would have ever guessed twenty years ago, ten years ago, or heck even five years ago that I would have a tractor parked out back.  But there you have it, we are up to twenty wheels.  I can't imagine that we will be getting any more any time soon!

No comments: