Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A day for all seasons...

I slept through my alarm for 30 seconds or so – both earplugs stayed in all night, so it was hard to hear. The other nights one has fallen out, which makes it easier to rise. I set it early, so I would have time to shower and bundle my clothes to take to school for laundry. The school advises not to ask host families for this, so for a mere S/2.5 per kilo, I drop the laundry off in the morning and pick it up at 6:30 pm. Never had someone to do my laundry for me! Oh wait – thanks, Mom and Dad! It is rainy and foggy and chilly. The gas heater in the classroom made us all up a bit ill. I can barely stay awake right now, except for my hungry belly. I will take a short nap after lunch. I really wish I had internet access, so I could post these last few days. Hopefully later!

No, still no internet, but it is very rainy here, and I feel like burrowing in a big pile of blankets in a blanket fort, drinking hot cocoa, and watching movies. I tried to sleep, but was really quite in and out. I feel like I have serious work to do, figuring out the next few weeks. I haven’t heard from the eco-village in Argentina, so I may need to move ahead with the other farm and get there earlier. The other “situation” is that Sunday is the national census. They haven’t had one in some 15 years or so, my teacher says. There is an immobility law posted for nationals, until they have been interviewed. In the campos it will take at least a week, but there is a lot of work and millions of people will be casing the cities and jungles and pueblitos. It is clearly a big deal! It means transportation could be iffy, though my teacher said there is an emphasis to have open places of tourism, etc, since it is such a major part of the economy. Crazy!

So I went for hot chocolate and met Manuela. It was super tasty, and now I am trying to type quietly during a movie with my popcorn and beer. Adios...tori

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a blanket fort with cocoa and a movie sounds great . . let's make one . .

am i sending too many messages??


love ya
e.