Wednesday, October 31, 2007

part two...HAPPY HALLOWEEN

So I slept for at least four hours. I was quite groggy. I had this great dream where my phone worked, and I could call people in the States. And I dreamt about the hostel and the people living here. It was really wuite funny. There was a futbol game on the tele, and a fa,ily was coming back from the park. One guy was upset with me because he thought I plugged up his toilet, but I know the paper goes in the basket. I insisted and he relented. And everything was getting comfortable, and I woke up. I didn´t know where I was! I was so hungry yesterday, but I slept through lunch. Neither vegetarian restaurant was open. It was four o´clock, and very little was open. I found my way closer to the park, and there were some cafes open. Manuela would be so proud of my lunch of pie and tea. I did have some crackers and a fruit leather first - kind of the same thing in the end. And with my hunger a bit satisfied, I felt tired again. I made it back to the hostel, watching everything start to open back up again. I knew if I slept in the afternoon I wouldn´t be able to sleep at night. I journaled for a while in Spanish, and upon hearing someone asking Spanish homework questions, I got out my own notes to study. Next thing I knew, I had a friend - Delphine is from the french side of Switzerland. We talked in Spanish for quite a while, until I saw some people being shown into my dorm. I wanted to grab my towel, etc. More new friends! Sonia is from the german side of Switzerland. Mikey is from Ireland. The other people that arrived at the same time were a couple from England. We all ended up going out for dinner - which means only drinks to most, but I needed food, since I missed lunch. Gnocchi is good stick to your gut stuff, but unfortunately, it didn´t. It seems I still have something going on with my belly, despite the cipro, rest and water. In the end I should have slept during the afternoon. Sonia´s unnamed friend isn´t well, slept above me, asked for a plastic bag for ¨just in case¨, and coughed and snored alternately all night long. It was very difficult, and now I am still tired. My plans backfire sometimes, but I am headed now to get a ticket for the farm town. Moving ahead...hopefully my best move! saludes, victoria ps - Hassif asked me a question I ´didn´t answer sufficiently well: why don´t Americans (from US) backpack? Not many Americans to be met down here, though there are a few travelers, and the ones you meet are studying and returning, not taking a year or so to travel. I can´t quite figure it out. He hadn´t either, obviously.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tori - It's fun to see your stories on here! Sounds like you are having quite the adventure. My stomach was not happy with me for a few days when I was in Columbia earlier this month.

Wanted to let you know that I have put in my resignation with Metro CareRing - Hunger for Justice has the funding to move me up to 36 hours a week, starting in mid-November! I'm excited about the change, although I will still be working out of the Metro CareRing offices!

Brad