Wednesday, October 10, 2007

My Wednesday...

What a day! I had a difficult time getting up, which really is no surprise. My alarm clock has a setting for snoozing, but it only lasts cinco minutos. We’ve been running late in the morning, so I tried to get up and eating earlier. Pilar comes to the house in the morning and fixes breakfast and cleans. She helps with lunch and other household chores, too. It is peculiar to be in such a poor place and have hired help. Pilar is quite sweet and makes the delicious juices and smoothies for breakfast and lunch. One glass is never enough, though that is all I get. Gloria knows I love fruta, so we have been having more and more. Me gusta! Today I was not late for school. I was the first one in the classroom, so I went for some tea. Aprendo los verbos irregular y otras cosas. I really enjoy my classes. I am learning more and more, and I have an easier time talking with Gloria and Freddie at mealtimes. Mollie, Locke, and I stopped at the museum of contemporary art on the way home for lunch. I found it interesting, though there was varying quality of work. I wandered through Plaza de San Francisco and watched the niƱos marching/dancing in place outside the school. One class had a flute for music; the other had a couple drums…very entertaining and adorable. Gloria and Freddie’s son Ethan was here for lunch. The conversation was not as animated as the discussion of foreign politics of lunches earlier, but I understood more. The rain came hard as we ate, so I decided to stay in for the afternoon. It means I have been bundled up and wearing my hat and jacket all day. I tried to use the internet from the house, but kept getting kicked off. So I did lots of reading! I read up on Puno, Arequipa, Colca Canyon, Lake Titicaca, and my options for my week of travel before I leave for Argentina. The options are so numerous, and I don’t make decisions easily. If you have any thoughts, please post them. The Amazon / rain forest is not so far either. I could really spread myself thin! I only have seven days / six nights, so I really shouldn’t try to do it all. A tribute to Angela Paviglianiti, I purchased El Principito de Antoine de Saint – Exupery yesterday. I began reading it last night, though I didn’t get very far. I don’t know tenses of verbs, so I got stuck on a word right off the bat. I am doing better – I’ve read the prologue and a page and a half. I especially loved the bit about the frightening sombrero. Books here are ultra-cheap because they are all copies. They have no copyright information or anything – someone translated and mass-produced them. It was only tres soles, which is about one dollar. I also played some Spanish Wheel of Fortune. The tele seems to be on a lot. I actually did pretty well and got a number of words and phrases. Molly is such a good Spanish speaker, but she and Locke came later to dinner, so the conversation was a little slower and more basic. I enjoy practicing what I do know. Tomorrow is another day of class. Maybe I will try to go to the Cathedral tomorrow. I have an hour after classes before lunch. I’ll have to wait to see what I can see! I think of home and everyone often…wondering what you are doing or being reminded of you by the people and places around me. If anyone knows how the marathoners did last weekend, post a note. I hope Jenny and Nikki are both recovered and enjoying their glory! Tonight would have been family dinner in Castle Rock. Was there another celebration of Oren’s birthday? With his parents over maybe? It seems unbelievable that it is the first one I have missed, for I feel like I have been so far away for so long. I hope Gabe hasn’t killed my plants. “/ Maybe Grandma is out line dancing post-back surgery if she isn’t also watching Wheel of Fortune. And does Maddie know her teddy bear’s name is Spanish for “pancake”? Well, enough rambling on, and I will say good night (even though I know I can’t post this till Thursday). Loveyoumeanit…victoria

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a great birthday, thanks! By the way, did you say Titi and Caca??

Anonymous said...

One more comment.......TODAY WAS OPENING DAY!!!!!!!!!!