Thursday, October 25, 2007

Too early to be typing...

But what else am I going to do to kill time? I am felling a little more savvy with the computer because this keyboard looks like ours but acts Peruvian. I remember where to find the question mark and such, even though everything is labeled differently...a new fluency, you might say. So last night I had a ball catching up the past few days, and while not much time has passed, I just had to write about my bus ride. I hope I am not repeat-offending. When we returned from the Colca Canyon, many of us bought bus tickets. I wanted a night ticket to avoid getting a hostel for a night of sleep, and I wanted my afternoon to regroup. It never quite works out as well in real life as it does in my head, but at the counter was a woman wanting to return a first class ticket. It was only cinco soles more, but I paid for the regular ticket and got her seat down below. I was online for a few hours. I had to get off to go to the bathroom, but then I didn´t have to go. I walked around the plaza in Areqipa with an hour to goof off before meeting up with the group from the trek. We were going to grab dinner before I headed off. I waited to pick up my big mochilla from the hostel, so I wouldn´t have to haul it around. So it was dark when I left theinternet cafe, and I was a bit chilled. I found a bench unoccupied by the young couple making out in the plaza all the time, layered up, and pulled out my book, Tuck Everlasting. It doesn´t weigh much, and I figured I could read it over and over. Three from the group were making their way across the plaza, so I gave up my seat to catch up to them. They were going to meet a friend who might join us, so I said I would let the others know if they hadn´t returned. Darn it ´- my seat was taken. I walked around and found a half empty bench on the other side. All was well until the lady got up and two borrachos sat down. They stunk of alcohol and piss. Great! How is it these guys know to come straight for me and start talking?!?! I was ignored the one closest to me as long as I could, but I knew what he was saying. I couldn´t be rude. Shoot! So we started talking about the US and Peru and this and that. I was looking frantically for the others. He offered to buy me a piece of candy from a poor girl peddling bits of chocolates, and I graciously declined and said it was time to walk around to see if I could find my friends. I doubted he would be able to see very far past his buddy and the bottle they were sharing, but I walked to the otherside and kept the fountain between us. Phew! It wasn´t too long and the others arrived. It was a nice good-bye. I might have thought they were friends of Miki because the other ladies said how nice I was. Nice! Siempre! The bus was fine. I slept the whole time, though it was too short a ride. I still arrived shortly after 4 am. The seat was nice - quieter and spacious. If only they didn´t play Texas Chainsaw Massacre for the movie! Now I am in Puno waiting to go down to the lake to take lots of pictures of the straw islands, Uros. It will be a quick day, really just passing time till I can get back to Cuzco and get my things together, say hello to my friends, and catch my flight to Argentina. Wow!! Time is moving quickly. Thank goodness because I want to come and see all of you soon!! best, victoria

No comments: