Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Day two - Colca Canyon

Though under the impression that the second day was a relatively falt walk down to the next stay, I found out we had to climb up significantly to catch the trail down to the next stays. The path also became quite narrow with sheer edges, making me a bit nervous on my tired legs. We pushed on and on, little by little. I was beginning to think we were a bit Troop Beverly Hills-ish, with our digital cameras, iPods, and frequent stops. Not your crew of hard core hikers, though I thought I was in better shape than I proved to be. I got a bit winded, but I started a rhythm counting to four only God knows how many times. I know those numbers really well, but it helped to keep moving. As the trail leveled off, the talking started again. It was a relatively easy day because we arrived at the Oasis before noon. We all peeled off into the pool and cooled down. Really surreal to see a lush area in the midst of the desert-like mountain side. Actually, it was interesting to think it is deeper than the Grand Canyon because it set up an image in my mind of the mesas and such (I´ve never actually been), but Colca Canyon is mountains all around. Anne asked me the difference between a valley and canyon - the ratio between depth and width, but even this knowledge doesn´t make it seem right. Stunning views, sunny afternoon lounging by the pool! Most of the other groups decided before we started to carry on to the top after lunch. This, we decided, would wait to day three: a 6 km climb of over 1 km elevation gain. Steep! We would be starting at 2:30 am in the dark, but it seemed worth it to enjoy and relax in the Oasis. Cabanaconde didn´t have much to offer. I walked down to the river on my own and took pictures and played with the rocks. It was nice to hear the sound of the water and enjoy the peace. When I hiked back up, we all got beers and talked some more. I sprayed twice and didn´t get eaten by mosquitos, but the flies got me pretty good. Dinner was early, so we could get a good night of sleep. We ate by candlelight, so when the natural light goes away, there is not much to do but sleep. Jenny asked numerous times if we wanted mules to ride out of the canyon, but we all wanted to do it. I think she foresaw our slowness, but overlooked our determination. I was getting my bags packed and ready to hike and found my toothbrush to get ready for bed, but yelling started. As I walked out of our straw hut, I saw a huge fire down two levels of terrace and a bit farther away from the center of the Oasis. There was abit of pandomonium. No hoses, but I remebered the buckets they used for cooling the beers. I found one in the shop. ¨Donde es agua?¨I yelled, and recieved the obvious answer, ¨Piscina¨(pool). I filled my bucket and traded it for an empty one. I filled it and traded it. The fire was on the other side of the huts on that terrace, and there were cactus and other plants blocking easy access. I decided filling buckets was my best skill. They got the fire out rather quickly, though I shouted that it jumped into a tree. One trekker climbed the tree, but it was a palm, and he had a bad angle to get the water up to the top. We filled more, and the men through it up little by little. Doused it, too! Phew! What a close call, and another adventure, to boot! I saw Dave and Sam helping, there were other trekkers, the Peruvians, including a mother with a baby on her back. Jenny told me to go. I had (have) soot on my jacket and got a bit dirty. The aquaducts were opened in rotation during the day for irrigation, and that terrace was quite wet. My socks and chacos got wet, too. The smoke seemed to go out pretty quickly, though there were still embers. Dave and Sam said the Peruvians took off, but the other trekkers continued to throw water because of the embers. When I found the girls outside our huts, they said someone told them they couldn´t go. I can understand the liability, but I couldn´t hear anyone tell me, ¨no¨. I hope you´re proud, Oren. We all had a good laugh because nobody saw James. We found him fast asleep in bed - in the hut next to ours. We teased him greatly because he had just said at dinner that he didn´t know how he would be able to sleep! Unfortunately, I didn´t sleep a wink after that. signing off - tori

No comments: