Saturday, October 27, 2007

Time on my hands...

Enferma como un perro! I think that means sick as a dog. Sick as a Tori! The flight from Lima to Santiago was quite fun. Each seat has it's own entertainment system. I could choose between movies, music, games, and television. Within each category were a long list of options. I watched Evan Almighty, one I had been curious to see, though not as funny as I had hoped. And I hoped laughter would be good medicine for me. I was starting to feel cold. It's pretty typical for me to be cold when I fly, but I felt a bit uneasy. When the movie finished, I checked out the music - over 500 albums! I settled on a Jack Johnson album to lullabye me to sleep. This was really nice. If only the flight was longer, so I could sleep more. By the time I arrived in Cordoba at 9 AM, I knew something had a grip on me. I was reminded of my infirmity after Guatemala - laying on the chair in front of the fireplace at the end of April - curled up like it was an arctic freeze outside. I was grateful for the tourist lady who helped me make a reservation, though this is no hostal. This is a bit above what I would pay for a place, but I really just needed to get into bed. Alex Hotel has its perks - I have cable TV, a heater/air conditioner (like the one in Ronda), and my own bathroom. Given my circumstances, these are luxuries that make spending a whole day in bed less painful. I spent all day Saturday in bed - waking up every hour or so to drink some water. I was in a real panic Saturday because of the fever and pain in my head. I couldn't do much, couldn't will myself to move. In the afternoon I knew I would need more water, I wanted to call Doctor Sister, and I needed a power adapter to use my computer. I got already to go and had to lay down again because I wore myself out. Further south of the equator, the days last longer. I was grateful to find a phone booth, ferreteria, and ice cream shop within a block. I left a tearful message for my sister, bought an adapter, bought water, and a pineapple sorbet. Sadly, I could barely enjoy the sorbet - what a tragedy! I made it back to my bed just in time. I layed down again for a long time. I didn't have the energy to pull out my computer. I cried. If you've never experienced it, I don't recommend getting really sick so far from your family and friends. I really wanted the lady at the front desk to care, to check in on me, but when you're solo, you have to be your own nurse. So I slept. I had a dream that I was at Grandma's house, and Roxie, Theresa, and Maria were there, too. I walked in and saw Grandpa sitting in the chair and almost reached over to hug him, but I knew he wasn't physically there. I started crying, and Roxie was asking me why I was crying. It only made sense in my head, but I miss him and want to hug him. I woke up from this dream crying and soaking wet. I worried that I wet the bed! Everything was drenched, but gratefully it was sweats from the fever, and my bladder had not chosen independently of me to empty itself in my sleep. I got up, about 1:30 am, and showered and cleaned up. The fever peaked. I am writing this Sunday morning. I am feeling better. I had breakfast. I am still planning on taking it easy today. I think it might be time for my next nap. You've been on my mind, as I have been missing the comforts of friends and family. I am really looking forward to getting to the farm this week. I wrote to tell them I was recovering from illness and would wait till I felt stronger. I am sure they're thrilled to be getting me at my low instead of with all the strength I had a week ago! Alas...pray for me. victoria

No comments: