Sunday, October 28, 2007

A Day of Rest

I have taken it easy today, and all is much better except for my headache. The park is very close by, as is the bus station. I think I will try to wrap up my convalescence in Cordoba and get a bit closer to the farm. If the fever returns, I will seek a doctor in Mendoza. I think some fresh air will do me well. More to come. tori Much later... I feel like a drama queen because today is so much better than yesterday, though I still have something lingering. I think my worst fear was getting encephylitis from malaria and never leaving the bed. It took a while to get moving today, and as it was, I didn't leave until mid-afternoon to check out my surroundings. At the bus station I found that the prices have just about doubled compared to those listed in the book Pat & Amy had from years and years ago. All the same, I found a really nice bus - or so they all say - with rides through the night to Mendoza. Before I thought riding during the day is a great way to see some scenery, but really it means you don't pay to sleep on a bus and then rent a room for 8 hours before check out. I have to be thrifty after I get the bill for this plush hotel! I also found the market above the bus station and bought more water and crackers. The cheese was in packages too big for me to eat, so I opted for a bag of cheesey poofs - one of Brad's favorites! Not the healthiest thing for me, but salt can be good when you are trying to stay hydrated, and it had flavor. The ham flavored crackers did not have the same appeal. To go with them, I picked out some mandarins, too. Nearly set for a picnic, just needed a park! It looked a block away on the map, but after walking at least five blocks, I only saw trash and broken glass and high fences - nothing resembling a park. Next came the hospitals, which was a relief to find out where they would have to take me if I wake up with a fever again. Then came the most pathetic excuse for some green space. It was really patchy and brown. A lot of bricks had fallen by the wayside, so steps began and ended in no particular destination. There was trash all over. It looked like a forgotten Central Park, and I was beginning to think it might not be safe to walk through it. Having walked so far, I knew that the shorter way back would be on the other side. I kept on with my wits about me. There was a nice outdoor theatre, but coming in from the back, I saw someone's laundry drying - not really an appealing vision of a theatre. I kept going, and as I pressed on, the sounds of kids and a carousel got louder. What a happy ending to that introduction to the park! There was a carousel and swings and slides and teeter-totters. There were soccer games and people running. Couples were cruising around on motocycles and scooters, and a couple different women were learning from their men how to drive them. The landscape was still pretty dry, but the trash was not so prominent. Soon there was a flower garden, and after a while there was a gate in the fence, so I went and sat and smelled roses. There was lavender, too. It sounded like an announcer, and while I thought it was someone announcing a futbol game, it was a circus! I stood around and watched a bit. Though I didn't understand the banter, I understand slapstick humor and clowns that don't talk. I walked on back, and it turns out the park is only a block away. It was all a matter of 90 degrees when I walked out of the terminal...if only I would not have turned that way. I need to gather my things. I hope to check out in the morning and wander around a little bit before catching a bus Monday night for Mendoza. That could put me at the farm on Tuesday! Thanks for the prayers. peace, tori

No comments: