Wednesday, October 24, 2007

My last day in Arequipa

I woke up feeling a bit off. Not everyone was ready, so we left a bit late. I found my one-two-three-four rhythm. I was leading the packwith Jenny, but as the mornign progressed, I moved down the order. I became the leader for the slower crew, which was good because I wasn´t afraid to take a break. We seemed to move in half hour increments. The only way in and out of the canyon is by foot or burro. The locals can summit this 6 km of uphill with an elevation gain of over 1 km in an hour and a half. Typical tourist trekker time - 3 hours. I am sure Miki did it in less, the amazing Miki has the competitive edge that some guy with a yellow backpack who passed us the first two days had. I can tell these things. I thought I was going to be sick the whole way up. It was quite difficult to manage. We hiked by headlamp or ¨torch¨- flashlight. It was a long morning. The moon set before we started, but the light lasted a little bit. Then it started to get light around 5 am. The morning star made me happy, or at least that is what I called it. I never used my inhaler, but I had it in my back pocket. I was pooped, and felling sick only made me want to vomit or rest longer, but we pushed on. We were never going to make breakfast and the 6:30 am bu to the condor viewpoint, but we all wanted to finish it on foot. We did, and Jenny led us through some fields and over rock fences to shortcut us back to the restaurant for breakfast. A fried egg in pan never tasted so good. If only I had some of Erik´s potatoes!! We got seats on the bus, gratefully! I slept for a bit, and it helped. We saw a few condor, but I felt like I couldn´t be bothered. I wanted back on the bus to sleep. We watched our bus drive away as we hiked up these stairs to the road. Every step felt like a hike, and we were confused about why it left because we had half an hour. Turns out we were going to catch the next bus. Tourists off and on buses all morning, so they never go back empty. The bus ride to Chivay was quite rocky and bumpy, and the music was too loud, abut I managed to sleep a little. In Chivay we took taxis to the hot springs. It was a treat to rest and also a treat to shower, since I don´t have a place to shower for a while. I dozed in and out on the way back to Arequipa. We actualy got air on some of the potholes. I was flying out of my seat! This is more difficult for sleeping. I bought a ticket for Puno in the bus station and head off tonight. I got a sleeping room because a woman wanted a refund because she can´t use her ticket. I bought it for less than seven dollars! Hopefully, I will get some good sleep. Being on the first floor, I might not feel the sway so much either. Until ten thirty tonight, I am blogging, grabbing my other bag and resorting, meeting up with the gang for dinner, and killing time! Tomorrow I hope to see the floating islands of Uros before catching the bus to Cuzco. Friday afternoon I fly to Argentina. Believe me, I haven´t seen my last bus for a long time! I love you all. Go Rockies! Go Broncos! Thanks for the e-mails, friends. I love to share what I am doing. It is one way for me to practice my English. In Argentina the farm is Spanish only. My Spanish is actually quite good. I speak mostly in Spanish, even when I have a choice. And I think in Spanish, too! Fun, huh!? Loveyoumeanit...victoria

No comments: